21 year-end reflection questions to ask yourself
So, here we are at the end of another year.
As one of my mentors taught me, there’s no such thing as a bad year or even a bad day. There are
only bad moments in a day, or bad times in the year. The whole day cannot be bad and a whole
year can’t possibly be ALL bad! Take a look through the photos on your phone to remember what you’ve done and where you’ve been this year.
As the year comes to a close, it’s a good time to ask yourself some important questions about the last 12 months and start thinking about the year ahead. Without a vision of where you want to be this time next year, you will just be wandering aimlessly and won’t even know if you’re close to your destination or heading down the wrong road completely.
I have put together some questions to reflect on. I would suggest writing your answers down in a journal so you can look back at it through the year to help keep yourself on track and set relevant goals for yourself.
Make sure you answer the questions honestly. Don’t write down what you think you’re ‘supposed’ to say. There are no right or wrong answers and only you can see it, so if you don’t think you were up to par, then say so. Just plan to fix it going forward. That’s how we learn and grow.
Also, this is not just an end of year exercise to complete and shove in a corner somewhere. Be sure to revisit your answers throughout the year. The beginning of each quarter and maybe your birthday are great times for a recap, but you can look back at it any time to remind yourself how you were thinking previously. Don’t forget that it’s not set in stone either. Feel free to change your answers according to how you’re feeling at the time but try to stay focused on that main goal you have.
Oh, and you don’t have to answer all the questions. It’s not an exam! This is for your own self-reflection, so choose whatever resonates with you and delve in.
- What one word or sentence would I use to describe 2021?
- Who and what am I leaving behind in 2021?
- Am I happy with my progress this year?
- What did I lose that’s worth salvaging?
- What projects did I successfully complete this year?
- What am I most passionate about right now?
- What did I waste time on this year?
- What relationships did I form in 2021?
- What did I do to improve myself this year?
- What do my finances look like right now?
- What did I do this year that I’m proud of?
- How can I manage my time better?
- Do I have a clear vision for 2022?
- What will be my main focus for the first quarter of 2022?
- What new habits do I want to create in 2022?
- What are 3 things I can do to get out of my comfort zone?
- What will my mantra be for January 2022?
- How will I look after myself in 2022?
- Which 3 people can I ask for help in order to move forward in 2022?
- How can I make more money in 2022?
- What will life be like for me this time next year, if nothing changes?
I hope you find this exercise useful. Let me know if it was.
Please share in the comments, if you can come up with more questions to add to the list. Sharing is caring!
About the Author:
With 25 years of administration experience in the UK corporate world behind her, Ann-Marie made the decision to go ‘Virtual’ in 2012. In order to spend more time with her young son, she started her own Virtual Assistance company, ‘Time Back Virtual Assistance’, helping entrepreneurs and small businesses to get more time back into their business days. Ann-Marie now lives on the beautiful island of St Lucia where she works virtually while soaking up the sun!
Ann-Marie is also the Founder of Southside Links, an online business and services directory, specifically for Soufriere and the south of the island of St Lucia. She helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and people with side hustles, to get more online exposure so they can get more customers and increase their revenue.
If you would like to have a consultation with Ann-Marie about your business needs, click here to schedule a call